Pages

This is a fun blog.

It is for me to keep in touch with my students and all others who create art and/or enjoy art....any medium.

It is for all of us to include our thoughts, ideas, happenings, and show our artwork. Just e-mail me those ideas and photos and I will post them to this blog. Please do !!! It will make it a group blog.

Enter your e-mail address in the "Follow by Email" to the right, if you would like to get email notification each time something has been posted. If you don't wish to do that...be sure to check back often...as I hope to post very often. You can also add the blog address to your favorites.

To enlarge any photo...just click on it.

(If this is your first time visiting this blog.... scroll down to (or look at the "Blog Archive" section) for the Tuesday, Aug 28th posting which was the first posting with info. These blogs add the newest posting on top).


Enjoy......


Thursday, September 6, 2012

What to do with all those challenge painting studies????
3D Paintings
This is one way I decided to do my Challenge Trees....those 4" x 3" studies just meant having those small little paintings with nothing to do with them, but to paste them on card fronts (been there, done that). These I can sell or send out as greeting cards.  I experimented and have 3 different ways to fold them.
Let us know about your challenge.

Below you can see my 3D painting in process and you can see my Color String (the blue to yellow-green). Mixing a color string  helps me have ready my tree values.

(I also rubber stamped words...you all know how I love adding words...onto the paper first. It wasn't water proof, so it bled some...which I liked.


What is and how to mix a Color String?

A color string is a line of paint  on your palette that you have premixed with different values. 
Start with a color and you step-by-step make that color either lighter or darker or step-by-step make that original color into another color.

I did a "2-way" string??? I started with  Blue in the middle, then I  added  it's complementary, Red, to darken the blue going in one direction..... Then going from the blue the opposite direction, I added yellow to make the blue more green and lighter. Now I had at least 3 needed values (light, medium and dark). Usually a color string starts with one color and goes in one direction to either lighter, darker or into another color.

Beginners tend to mix their paint as they go...usually guessing along the way. Premixing your values helps you get those...3 needed values, color unity, depth and a smaller color palette.

Enjoy!!!


2 comments:

  1. Do you use this as a color sample or a mix on the palette? I am going to try it. Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi...Mix your Color String on your palette and work directly from it. Some say this works best with oils and acrylics, but I make them with my watercolors. Joni

    ReplyDelete