Pages

This is a fun blog.

It is for me to keep in touch with my students and all others who create art and/or enjoy art....any medium.

It is for all of us to include our thoughts, ideas, happenings, and show our artwork. Just e-mail me those ideas and photos and I will post them to this blog. Please do !!! It will make it a group blog.

Enter your e-mail address in the "Follow by Email" to the right, if you would like to get email notification each time something has been posted. If you don't wish to do that...be sure to check back often...as I hope to post very often. You can also add the blog address to your favorites.

To enlarge any photo...just click on it.

(If this is your first time visiting this blog.... scroll down to (or look at the "Blog Archive" section) for the Tuesday, Aug 28th posting which was the first posting with info. These blogs add the newest posting on top).


Enjoy......


Friday, September 7, 2012

 Plein Air Painting


Plein Air...French for "Painting outdoors or in the air". Now is a great time of year to go out and find your outdoor muse! Here are some (not all) guidelines and helpful hints:

Before you start painting: Look at your view...and then decide:
* What will be your focal point?
* What can you simplify ...you do need to pick the main shapes and let others fall away.
* Composition...how can you change the composition to make a better painting? Unless you have to have a painting that represents your view exactly...you will probably change elements so your painting has a better composition. Natural isn't always best. 
* Value...find your values. Is the sky lighter than the mountain?...is the mountain darker than the sky?...etc.
* Light Source: It will change every second, not only because time tics...but clouds can cover over the sun etc..(you fainted because you didn't drink enough water). 
* Color Palette....use  limited colors. Keep your palette shaded.
* Paint small? It helps when you are chasing the light source, weather conditions and how fast paints dry.
* Do your homework on your area and expect the unexpected !!! (do as I say, not as I did!)!

While camping, I went, during early evening,  to Elk Lake to do a little Plein Air of the marina. The little lake I camp at doesn't have a lodge or marina. As I entered the gravel road into the lodge, I knew instantly I DID NOT DO MY HOMEWORK. The road was lined on both sides with parked cars, trucks, empty boat trailers and PEOPLE....making the road into a one-way only. After backing up several times to let (unfriendly) drivers through....I parked almost as far away as the lake I 
left !!! (thank goodness I pack light). There was a wedding, a concert, day users and campers. Maybe...never go on a weekend??? The shore line was packed....I'd say, 5 people per square foot.  Anyone who has met me know I don't like painting in a crowd....but I said "What would my students do?" I was brave and went for it. I found a little spot with a little stump to lean my board on next to a family of 5 and 2 dogs ( that loved the water...got the picture?). I was lucky the 2 of the children were to young to ask me questions, the older daughter was in the stage of not daring to look at anyone...so I was lucky there too. I only wish I could say as much for the 2 dogs. I did two little paintings in watercolor in about 1 hr and got out of there. I went back during mid-week and found it to be a better experience. The morning reflections were so much better too.

There are a lot of details to learn about Plein Air...the best way to learn is to go out and try it. Have fun.

 I painted only a few of the boats...my way to simplify the composition.

Early evening cast a interesting light...but the reflections were nonexistent. 
Got my Challenge Trees painted!

Share your Plein Air Paintings with us....e-mail them to me and I'll post.

No comments:

Post a Comment