Pages

This is a fun blog.

It is for me to keep in touch with my students and all others who create art and/or enjoy art....any medium.

It is for all of us to include our thoughts, ideas, happenings, and show our artwork. Just e-mail me those ideas and photos and I will post them to this blog. Please do !!! It will make it a group blog.

Enter your e-mail address in the "Follow by Email" to the right, if you would like to get email notification each time something has been posted. If you don't wish to do that...be sure to check back often...as I hope to post very often. You can also add the blog address to your favorites.

To enlarge any photo...just click on it.

(If this is your first time visiting this blog.... scroll down to (or look at the "Blog Archive" section) for the Tuesday, Aug 28th posting which was the first posting with info. These blogs add the newest posting on top).


Enjoy......


Monday, November 19, 2012

    Be yourself, because everyone else is taken.
                                                                                                                               (unknown)

Readings:
I'm reading a book, The Sistine Secrets by Benjamin Blech & Roy Doliner.

I loved seeing the Sistine Chapel* ceiling...it was breathtaking. I've seen it  twice...the first time was before it was restored and the second time it was during it's restoration (lots of scaffolding and closed off areas). Even though I plan on visiting mostly the small hill towns of Italy on my next trip, I will go see the Sistine Chapel....this time in it's full restored state and I will be thinking about this book.

Inside cover description of this book...says:

"Five hundred years ago Michelangelo began work on a painting that became one of the most famous pieces of art in the world--The Sistine Chapel ceiling. Every year millions of people come to see Michelangelo's Sistine ceiling, which is the largest fresco* painting on earth in the holiest of Christianity's chapels; yet there is not one single Christian image in this vast, magnificent artwork. The Sistine Secrets tells the fascinating story of how Michelangelo embedded messages of brotherhood, tolerance, and freethinking in his painting to encourage "fellow travelers" to challenge the repressive Roman Catholic Church of his time.
Blech & Doliner reveal what Michelangelo meant in the angelic representations that brilliantly mocked his papal patrons, how he managed to sneak unorthodox heresies into his ostensibly pious portrayals, and how he was able to fulfill his lifelong ambition to bridge the wisdom of science with the strictures of faith. The Sistine Secrets unearth secrets that have remained hidden in plain sight for centuries."

*Sistine Chapel...The Vatican, Rome, Italy.
*Fresco....(Italian for "fresh"). A wall covering technique that involves painting with  water-based paints on freshly applied wet plaster. Also known as buon fresco. Fresco last because the paint mixes with the wet plaster instead of sitting on top of the plaster, where the paint could get rubbed off.

Viewer Comment:
(I'm passing on a 2 comments that were e-mailed to me).

(In regards to the 11/16/12 posting)

Joni,
I am compelled to comment on this one....

Every time I get "stuck" on a painting, I turn it upside down!  I am so happy you taught me this and have passed the trick onto fellow painters!  Great tool if I am struggling with my painting!

Thanks!
Debbie


(In regards to the 11/ 12 posting).

I like to title my paintings, especially if I have painted them on location. It helps me recall the location and even the friends I have painted with. 
Debbie



No comments:

Post a Comment