Pages

This is a fun blog.

It is for me to keep in touch with my students and all others who create art and/or enjoy art....any medium.

It is for all of us to include our thoughts, ideas, happenings, and show our artwork. Just e-mail me those ideas and photos and I will post them to this blog. Please do !!! It will make it a group blog.

Enter your e-mail address in the "Follow by Email" to the right, if you would like to get email notification each time something has been posted. If you don't wish to do that...be sure to check back often...as I hope to post very often. You can also add the blog address to your favorites.

To enlarge any photo...just click on it.

(If this is your first time visiting this blog.... scroll down to (or look at the "Blog Archive" section) for the Tuesday, Aug 28th posting which was the first posting with info. These blogs add the newest posting on top).


Enjoy......


Friday, September 14, 2012

Blog Views: I added a page view count section on the right...so now you can see how many have looked at it. 

Plein Air: Below is my second attempt at painting Elk Lake Marina. I went back on a weekday and there were less people and dogs. I had all the intentions of using my support horizontally, but after a few thumbnail sketches, I decided to use it vertically. That did present some problems...it was top heavy....24" x 11" of 1/2" thick hardboard.  Since I don't use an easel with watercolors, I had to find a tree stump that was at the right height and at the right location to help hold the long heavy support.  The morning light was steamy, but the reflections were there, unlike my first visit (See Posting Sept. 7).. It was cold...it got down to 28* that night..in August..in Bend!!! Ouch....hence, my short visit.
I changed the composition by: painting only 4 boats, using a very limited palette and adding color to the boats (focal points are to have the color and the most contrast by painting the the dark water behind the boats).
Color Palette: I used only 2 colors for the main part of this painting...then added the colors for the boats. I used Joseph Zbukvic palette, but then only a few of his colors. 

Help...This is not a Test !!!   
Vote for Your Composition Preference: 
Leave a comment.
After arriving back home and looking at this painting for a few days, I decided that the composition may not be correct. It looked okay with my thumbnails. Perhaps, I painted to fast (about 30min) or when I got to the bottom half of the painting the support was harder to balance or I misjudged my composition (that's my vote)?
Below are 3 versions of cropping. Which one do you think is the best composition? Leave a comment. 
Vote for:
A...Original Painting.
B...Little cropped off the bottom.
C...All of the bottom is cropped.
                                                                              A
  
B

C

Vote...by leaving a comment (or e-mailing me).

5 comments:

  1. My choice would be C.
    Nice painting. You captured the chilly day!

    BG

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the palette. I think I prefer C. The foreground does not take away from the focal point (boats)?

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I vote for C, sometimes less is better. Nice painting.

    Mel

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK.... so the thing I like about C is not only the colors and the chilly look... it is also the fact that without the foreground it makes it feel as if the lake is bigger, and also makes me feel as if maybe I am in a boat looking from one to another....
    that's my final two cents worth! ;0)
    BG

    ReplyDelete